Academic Software -
What is it, and Who Qualifies?
Many of our web pages show two, or even three, price structures for software titles: an academic price, a normal retail or commercial price, and in some cases a student/teacher price.
Generally, software with an academic price or a student/teacher price is exactly the same product as the retail version. Only the price and licensing are different.
Some software publishers (but not all), such as Microsoft, Adobe and Corel, offer the academic world a special low price that is not available to other purchasers.
To qualify for the special academic low price where offered, you need to show that you are eligible under the relevant licensing terms.
Some of these are shown below. For others, please just ask.
AdobeAdobe Products for Retail and Commercial Use Simply order your required product or products from our web site. There are no retrictions on who may purchase regular retail or commericial titles. Available in 2 editions:
- As a single user, single computer retail box package with one licence. Further paper-only licences may be added later if desired. This package involves installing the software on each computer individually for which you acquire a licence.
- As a network-install media pack with licences. The software is pushed out or served from your server to each computer for which you have a licence.
Adobe Products for Academic Institutions
Available only as Media Kit and Licence. Primary , Intermediate and High Schools, and recognised Tertiary Institutions, may purchase Adobe Academic product. Academic media kits and licences are not available to individual teachers or students (see below).
Adobe Products for Students,Teachers, and Staff
dobe's integrated design and productivity tools will help you produce your best work in the classroom and take you where you want to go after you graduate. Save up to 80% off the full retail price with Adobe Student and Teacher Editions - full commercial versions at low prices for students and now teachers, too. To qualify to purchase Adobe Software Editions for Students/Teachers, you must be a:
University and college student Student enrolled at a higher education institution defined as an accredited public or private university or college (including community, junior, or vocational college) that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two years of full-time study.
Primary or secondary school student
Student enrolled at an accredited public or private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction.
Faculty and staff
Teacher and staff employed by an accredited primary or secondary school, or public or private university or college. Product will be delivered from Educcomp without licence or registration details, but with a special Student/Teacher Application Form. Customers will be required to complete the Form and provide proof of eligibility from their institution to Adobe NZ in order to acquire a licence registration code and use an Adobe Student and Teacher Edition. Titles available under the Student/Teacher scheme include:
Creative Suite 6 Design and Web Premium
Creative Suite 6 Production Premium
Creative Suite 6 Design Standard
Filemaker Education Eligibility
FileMaker, Inc. offers qualified education institutions, organizations, and end users the opportunity to purchase education versions of FileMaker products for administrative or educational instruction purposes. Education versions of FileMaker products cannot be used for any commercial purpose. A commercial purpose is any revenue-generating activity beyond the usual and customary activities educational institutions engage in. Education institutions and organizations must meet at least one of the following criteria to qualify:
Accredited public or private universities, colleges, and community colleges that grant degrees requiring at least two years of full-time matriculation*
Accredited public and private K-12 Institutions including Charter and Virtual Schools
Hospitals, libraries, research laboratories, and museums wholly-owned and operated by the schools above
Ministry of Education, administrative offices, boards of education, and local offices of education
Home schools approved by FileMaker at its sole discretion
Students are eligible for education pricing only if they attend an accredited school described above, and provided that the software is only used by the student.
To purchase education versions of shrink-wrapped software, or take advantage of the Corel Volume Purchase Program, purchasers must be: accredited schools, faculties, full- or part-time registered students, academic supervisory organizations, hospitals, libraries, museums, and nonprofit charitable and religious organizations. The aforementioned categories for eligibility for education pricing are further described as:
Institutions may be either publicly or privately owned
- Elementary schools
- Secondary schools
- Vocational schools
- Correspondence schools
- Junior colleges
- Universities, or scientific or technical institutes recognized by the appropriate ministry or department of education
K-12 Educators, Vocational, college or university faculty
Proof of current employment is required.
- Faculty and/or staff members (full- or part-time) of any accredited school
- Registered and/or state-recognized home educators providing primary or secondary education
- Full- or part-time registered students. Valid photo student identification is required if purchasing through a Corel Authorized Education Reseller. If a photo ID is not available, then two pieces of ID are required.
- Boards of education
- Ministries of education
- School district administrative offices
- State departments of education
- All public and school libraries (publicly or privately funded) providing not-for-profit library services to a community, region or district
- Permanent public or private nonprofit agencies or institutions organized for educational, aesthetic or cultural purposes
- Must own or use objects for exhibition to the general public on a permanent and regular basis
- Must collect, preserve, study, interpret, assemble and exhibit objects and specimens of educational and cultural value, including artistic, scientific (animate or inanimate), historical and technological material, to the public for its instruction and enjoyment
- Charitable organizations not affiliated with a profit-making company or organization. IRD Certificate required in NZ.
- Any religious body considered charitable under provincial, state or country laws.
- The organization's beliefs and practices must not be considered subversive or immoral by the courts or laws of the province, state or country
Exclusions: Congregation members or parishioners are not eligible for academic pricing. Organizations must present proof of charitable or nonprofit status and a completed Corel Nonprofit and Charitable Organization Request Form to any Corel Authorized Academic Reseller.
Terms and Conditions
Organizations must be able to show proof of eligibility and applicable accreditation if requested by Corel or a Corel Authorized Education Reseller. It is Corel's sole discretion to accept or decline the applicant. Any issues or concerns regarding the preceding definitions shall be resolved at Corel's discretion. All software must be used for internal administrative or educational instruction purposes only. Products may not be resold, donated or used as a prize in any promotion.